Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Edo Hair Salon and Art Gallery

There is one art that is extremely overlooked. It requires precision, an eye for perfection, and even demands a license for professional practice. To be a hair colorist takes patience, strategy, and skill to satisfy every customer who requests specific colors be added to alter their natural hair color. Because hair is a very personal attribute and people take pride in their appearance, it is important that a good hair colorist have impeccable judgment. Hair services in San Francisco are not cheap, so when I decided to look for a hair colorist, I wanted the best. Her name is Marissa Estrella and she is a senior stylist at Edo hair salon located on lower Haight street. Edo was rated “best salon” in 2009 by the Bay Guardian, and the staff certainly live up to their expectations.
Located on the corner of Haight street at Steiner, this quaint salon sits situated between local residences and the fine dining of lower Haight. With a small pink banner that reads “Edo Hair Salon and Art Gallery,” it is easy to overlook the second part of the title. Yes, a hair salon that doubles as an art gallery. Instantly intrigued, I called to schedule my appointment, prepared to shovel out over $100 for a partial highlight. Stephanie who answers the phones was not the most enthusiastic person to schedule a hair appointment with- it was as if my business was not needed. However, upon arrival I was greeted by a very nice front desk staff and offered water or wine while I waited. This is when I decided to check out the art. Currently featured at Edo is the work of Catto Vanessa Houghton, a Canadian born artist who just recently moved to the Bay Area. Her showcased portraits called “Falling Together” resemble pop-art with a more realistic flare. One portrait features a close-up of an African American male with dread locks. The picture looks like a real portrait, capturing the man’s distinct features and incorporating intricate detail. The photos were a great distraction from the fact that Marissa was running late.
As I sipped my red wine Marissa assessed my hair needs and recommended the best plan of attack: light bleach and brown toner in order to create golden bronze highlights. As someone who comes from a family of hair stylists and colorist I have learned to become extremely picky and exact with my hair. Colorists can put color on top of natural hair, or they can bleach the hair- which is essentially starting from scratch and then decide to add color. This is the most difficult part of creating the perfect color and determining if bleach is appropriate for different hair types. With one hair color in mind, Marissa explained adequately how long she would keep the bleach on, then how she would add brown toner to bring out the caramel and bronze in my hair. If I was not satisfied with my hair color, she explained that I could come back for a retouch.
Edo lives up to its positive reviews with friendly and knowledgeable staff. They have a full line of Bumble & Bumble hair products to compliment their services. After my first visit I even received a $10 off coupon as a new customer for my next visit. I am more than content with the result of Marissa’s expertise and would recommend Edo to anyone who needs a great stylist. The cost of my trip: $130, my experience: great, my hair color: amazing. Not only are the services great, there is always an art showcase that changes monthly on display.

My rating: ****1/2

No comments: