Monday, October 13, 2008

Future of Newspapers

Last week I had my first, much anticipated, visit to the Chronicle. I entered the building which seemed to be lively and full of people who all knew each other- almost like family. Then I exited the 3rd floor elevator doors to find a florescent lit room full of tired-looking newspaper staff who did not seem to be too excited to be there. Most, if not all, of the staff I talked to made a comment that now was not a good time to get into newspapers. They were making major cut backs on staff at the Chronicle and everyone looked over worked and tired. Maybe I put the Chronicle on a pedestal, but this was not the work place I imagined.

And, we had a guest speaker today in Advanced Reporting who agreed to leave the Chronicle and take the buy-out. I think it's fair to be skeptical about my future career, especially in the time of this economic crisis.

No comments: